Tuesday 28 July 2015

Mepxy Max 12th Edition

MEPXY MAX 12TH EDITION

My Neighbour Totoro

BY Ash Chain
Created with Canson Drawing 220 paper and Mepxy Brush Markers



Studio Ghibli's My neighbour Totoro is one of my absolute favourite movies. Full of all the warm fuzzies that we all need in our busy lives. Here is my tribute to my favourite neighbour.


As usual start with your line work. I used basic art liners with the width of 0.8 and 0.2.


I use my yellow colours first as this is the smallest area to fill, the inside of the blossoms. 



Next is the blossoms. This is where I do my usual technique of shading with the darkest colour first then the medium followed by the lightest colour. This technique helps blend the tones out so there isn't such harsh lines. This helps defuse them.



Now for the leaves. I used three colours (dark,medium and light), but only actually used two on each leaf. for the lighter leaf I used the medium green in the middle of the leaf and flicked out to the stems followed by the lightest green to blend and defuse lines. Then for the darker leaf I used the darkest green followed by the medium green with the same technique of the lightest leaf.


Onto the acorns! keeping it simple I used three different browns but only used two of them on one acorn. I colour the tops the dark brown and medium brown then colour the acorn nut the lightest brown and medium brown for the acorn that has the darkest top.


Totoro time! I use two shades of grey. I first go around and figure out where I want the shadows to be and colour those areas. Then I go over the whole blank area and shadows with the light grey as i'm also trying to defuse the shadow line so it's not that sharp.


Tummy time. Again only two colours. One to create shadow and the other to fill and defuse the shadow line.


Now to fill in some of that empty space. I used the lightest grey I have to fill in those gaps in between the leaves and acorns then use the colourless marker and go over the edges and again defuse the lines.


There you have it ladies, gents and Ghibli lovers. I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and can use some of the techniques I've shared with you.

Colours used: 00, Y19, Y17, R32, R20, R00, L67, L24, G28, N27, O27, W37, N27, TG05, TG02, N01, N51, NG01

1 comment:

  1. Oh how we ALL love Totoro. The kids will be thrilled. Thanks Ash.

    ReplyDelete