Saturday 22 August 2015

Mepxy Max 14th Edition

MEPXY MAX 14TH EDITION

Super Quick Elephant

BY Ash Chain
Created with Canson Drawing 220 paper and Mepxy Brush Markers



Hello one and all! This tutorial is another super quick one. This design was used for a client of mine for her tattoo and I often colour their designs so they can see what the colour layout will be. So in turn I usually do them rather quickly. Here we go!


As usual I start off with my line work which I never rush. I use any ol' art liner as long as they're 0.8 and 0.2.



Then I go through with my colours. As you can see, I've already coloured in the centre of my flowers with a yellow (Y19). I then use a dark purple and a light purple of a similar tone. I colour around the centre with the dark purple then go over all the petals with the lighter purple. Going over the whole flower with the lighter purple will help blend the darker purple and diffuse any lines created buy the darker purple. I continue this with the third flower.



Next the leaves. Again I'm using only two tones of the same colour. Sometime keeping it simple can be the most effective tool in your box. I use the same technique for the leaves as I did with the flowers. Lay down the darker colour then go over with the lighter colour.


Now for the eye. Super simple. One colour. One line :) TINY EYE






Now I want to start the ear. As this is a rather large empty space I want to contrast it as much as possible while trying not to crowd it. I use a dark, medium, light and super light grey to create this effect. I like the toner grey set for this. I put down layer by layer with starting with the dark then medium then light then go over the whole area with the super light. This also helps blend.






I continue the technique that I used on the ear on the face and trunk. Try and imagine where the shadows are or where you're wanting depth to be on your drawing. Remember this tutorial is super quick and handy for when you need to show or give an idea to your client where colours will be and what they will look like. This doesn't mean it has to be perfect.



Now for the tusks. Again same technique, dark to light to create your depth and tones.



Lastly to fill in some of that empty space I use the lightest grey in my collection and colourless to fade the edge so it's not too harsh.



I hope this tutorial has helped you loosen your style. Remember, sometime we all can't be perfect. I also use this technique to so a test run of colours I think will look best together and make my drawing come to life. This does take me longer but if you're not pressed for time, it is great if you're unsure and don't want to mess up your hard work lining.

Colours used: 00, NG01, Y19, V15, V12, V17, P04, L67, G82, N18, TG04, TG03, TG02, TG01, W02, N52, N50

No comments:

Post a Comment