Friday 27 November 2015

Spice up the White - Porcelaine Paints With Pebeo

With a little Pebeo Porcelain Paint you can spice up a white mug this xmas as a personal little handmade gift idea.
I myself am not a fan of white mugs, I had to purchase some just for this tutorial! I collect bright coloured funky mugs! So how does one turn a boring old white mug into something fun and personal!

With alphabet stickers of course! and some various colours of the Pebeo Porclaine paints! I grabbed some cheap alpha stickers from the Reject Shop for $2.00


I did my pet name from my husband and also my initials I grabbed a stippling brush and also my palette, poured some of the colours I wanted to use and started bouncing my round stippling brush onto the mug. Super easy and simple!
I completely clean the mugs to make sure there is no residue on the mugs so the paint has a clean surface to work with.
TIP - Apply the stickers to your clothes first before putting onto the mug to allow some of the stickyness to be muted, so when it comes time to remove your alphabets it wont be such a huge pain.



I did test how the stippled dots would look on a spare piece of card before applying to the mug, to make sure I was happy with how it turned out.
This Blog post is also a lesson for you if you get to the end of your project and you hate it...I remade this cup 5 times before I settled on a design, you will see some of the ok attempts! REMEMBER NOTHING IS SET IN STONE UNTIL YOU BAKE IT!

 I used red and white paint and also mixed the two to make a soft pink, I also used a q-tip to add little red polkadots to the design.
Using a pin I removed the stickers, you may need to use some Methylated spirits to sharpen your edges if you so wish! I used a fine brush with the metho to work the edges.

another way you can add colour, is using sponges and bouncing thin washes of colour to your mug.
I used primary colours and a sponge and pounced the sponge onto the mug to give a softer effect...then I decided I wanted to create a cute watermelon inspired mug so started..yet again.

Using the same sponge technique I bounced red and green onto my mug over my alphabet stickers

once I was happy I then used a black pebeo porcelain paint pen, and drew on little sporadic seeds. The lovely little mug now holds my current fave washii tapes on my desk!

If you create a mug design and you aren't in love with it, a paper towel and methylated spirits will remove your work, and you can start again! just because you failed once doesn't mean you've ruined your mug! Like I said nothing is set in stone unless you've baked it.

Let your creations dry for a full 24 hours before baking.
150 degree oven for 25 mins, I turn the oven off and leave the door open for the mugs to cool.
I hand wash all my handmade things just to be on the safe side!

I hope you enjoyed this little quick fun tutorial, and remember everything can be fixed.
seeya next week.
Courtney Diaz

1 comment: