Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Christmas Gifts with Pebeo Porcelaine 150!

Christmas Gifts!

Made with Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Paints and Markers

Every year, I have the same dilemma trying to decide what to get for my Grandparents as they always tell me that they have everything that they need. And every year I end up doing a painting or drawing for them, this year however, I thought I'd make something that they might actually use!

I decided to test out my paints and try my hand at more realistic and detailed designs.
Unfortunately, I didn't take photographs of the steps, but I'll do my best to explain them.

The Pebeo paints work in a similar way to most paints when it comes to mixing colours. I used a scrap of paper to mix the extra colours. I sometimes mixed the marker paints, or the pots of paint, or a mixture of both, which I will go on to explain.

In my blue butterfly and red robin painting, I used Princeton brushes, which work a treat! 

  • In this painting, I started off by drawing the outline of the butterfly shape.
  • Once, I had done this, I then drew the shapes on the wings.
  • I also filled in the edges, but left some white gaps on the tips of the wings for the spots.
  • I then drew the body of the butterfly.
  • I left this to dry for a couple of minutes.
  • I then started off with yellow and drew some of the colour on the outer edges of the shapes.
  • Next, I used my orange a bit further in, next to the yellow.
  • Occasionally I would go back to my first colour to create a bit of a gradient.
  • However, be careful in doing this as sometimes the paint can be lifted up if overworked.
  • Then I used the red in the middle for some warmth.
  • Once the butterfly had dried a bit more, I got my two white and black pots of paint and mixed a grey colour on my paper which I then painted with a brush underneath the butterfly as a shadow.
  • I had to do two coats of the paint with a fairly laden brush to get the even grey colour.

Colours used:
Agate orange.
Marseille yellow.
Scarlet red.
Anthracite black.

  •  For this butterfly, I began by using the black marker and outlining the shape of the butterfly.
  • I then filled in the shapes on the wings and drew the butterfly body.
  • Once this had dried I used the dark blue marker and coloured the edges of the shapes.
    • I shaded by finishing the line on a curve. By this I mean that I finished the colour with a curved line instead of a flat edge to join the next colour nicer.
  • I then used by pale blue colour to finish colouring in the wings.
  • I then pressed the nib of the light blue marker a couple of times on a piece of paper so some of the paint flooded onto the paper which I then mixed with white potted paint to create a light blue colour.
    • This colour I then painted as a highlight and third colour on the inside of the wings.
  • I also used it again to paint spots on the outer edges of the wings.

Colours used: 
Lapis Blue.
Peacock Blue.
Anthracite Black.

  • This bird looks really tricky, but it was just experimental and a lot of fun! And I only used a couple of colours.
  • Firstly, I used the red marker to draw the shape of the bird. I used the marker when it didn't have a lot of paint in the nib so it would draw lightly.
  • I then used my brushes to do some of the red brush strokes ontop of the head and chest.
  • While it was still wet, I used my yellow paint to add some highlights.
    • I also mixed some of the red and yellow together on the paper to make orange and painted that as well.
  • Next I painted the eye which was done just using the black and leaving a space for the eye reflection.
  • Then I mixed some of my blue and black together to make the colour for the wings.
    • I painted keeping in mind the direction and shape of the feathers and built the paint up in layers. Sometimes I had to wait for the paint to dry before adding the next layer.
  • Then I painted the beak which was made from mostly black with a little blue and then shaded around the eye and at the back of the head.
  • Then I mixed red with a little blue to make a purple colour which I painted on the chest of the bird below the beak.
  • After this had dried I painted the background which was purple made from the blue and red.
    • For this I painted in stages following the direction of the bowl and added white each time to create the gradient. (You can see my brushstrokes).
  • Voila!

Colours used:
Scarlet red.
Citrine yellow.
Lapis Blue.
Anthracite black.

All of these were left to dry overnight and then baked in a normal oven at 150 degrees for 35 minutes.
The paint is now washable. However, it is recommended to hand-wash to preserve the quality of the paint. If however you must use a dishwasher, use it on Eco mode. :)

Paints are available at Spotlight stores around Australia and selected art stores!

Find us on Facebook:
Instagram: @mepxymarkers
Please send us your work or anything that you create! Thanks for watching!
Natalie Wyatt

No comments:

Post a Comment